Thursday, May 3, 2007

Get new handphone?

I have been waiting for months to get a new handphone because my current one has multiple horizontal and vertical lines running across the edge of its screen. I was told I must have dropped the handphone some time ago, and so these lines are actually 'dead' pixels of the LCD.

And I have been putting up with these lines because I have not been willing to pay for a new handphone - why pay when I can get one for free when I renew subscription contract, right?! This may sound cheapo lah, but a phone is a tool only mah, so why spend good money which I have much better use for, hor?

Anyway, I received an offer today from the service provider. To summarise, choice is now this: either I retain my existing handphone and get to enjoy a rebate of $4 off my monthly bill or I upgrade my handphone (ie get free new handphone) with a new contract. How? Choice seems simple enough, but I am very wary of the fine prints leh.... especially in the telecommunication industry....

Maybe I should go check it out in person at the shops rather than try to make head or tail over this whole thing online. Sigh, so much so for online 'convenience'.....

I am also wondering what is the difference between these 2 ('free') Nokia models?? I think they are called the 5070 and 6300 respectively.

3 comments:

KayAngMo said...

First of all, NOTHING, I say NOTHING is free, esp in Singapore.

Check out how many donkey months you have to sign your contract to this blood sucking company.

Go also to the shop and check out the real handphones, and not just the dummy ones they have on display (multimillion company so cheapo one ah still?)

Nokia is good brand, but the ones shown are quite old already. Sure you don't want really new ones? With 2Mpix camera and mem cards?

lplp said...

Contract is quite standard lah - 24 months.

Models-wise, actually I am also not sure what I should 'want'. My use is rather basic only. Maybe something with camera can already. I have no idea what those '3G's can do anyway......

KayAngMo said...

If the price is the same, then the higher number model is preferred.

It has 2Mpix, and tri-band (something you never need).
The first number is usually the series number, higher means better.

For me, i would take the 6300, hands down.

Key Features

Compact modern design featuring sophisticated stainless-steel covers, glossy black finish, and rounded edges

Reminder lights to quietly draw your attention to missed calls and unread messages

Catch and keep those treasured moments with the 2 megapixel camera with 8x digital zoom

Side volume keys conveniently act as zoom controls for camera close-up shots

Get entertainment when you want it with the music player, FM stereo radio, and video player

See more at a glance with the 240 x 320 pixels resolution screen with up to 16 million true colors
Access your email on the go and send messages with attachments
Store music, videos, and photos with up to 2 GB expandable memory