Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Teeth and Dentist

Some months ago, I was so shocked to realise that my teeth were getting 'longer' and more 'loose'! The front teeth, especially, seemed to be rather shaky!

Feeling very afraid and frustrated, I rushed to my regular dentist for an urgent consultation. She tested the teeth by 'shaking' them, and noted that they were indeed rather 'mobile' (that's the term she used). I was devastated. The dentist said that going by the looks of the teeth and the gum, I was probably losing calcium. Then she did some regular scaling, cleaning etc and dispensed those regular advice on good oral hygiene etc. She also suggested that I started to use a toothpase formulated for sensitive teeth.

With a very heavy heart, I left the dentist's clinic. How could this happen?! Ever since my primary school days (when we had to deal with an ultra-paisi dental nurse all the time), I have been brushing my teeth religiously. And when I came to know how to use the floss, I have also been flossing my teeth conscientiously everyday. So, how could my teeth threaten to fall off ?!?!?! And calcium loss??

Since that visit, I took extra effort to brush even more cleanly and thoroughly. Also floss more carefully. I started using Paradontax, a toothpaste recommended by my colleague even though it costs 3-4 times the price of the regular Darlie toothpaste I had been using all my life.

As an additional precaution, I also began popping 1-2 calcium tablet supplements which M got from the polyclinic (cheaper than calcium supplements available on the shelves in outside pharmacies). I decided that the need to urgently halt/slow down loss of calcium would override my long-time concern about calcium supplements heightening the risks of stones in the body.

This morning, I visited the dentist again for my regular check. The dentist found no cavity (this is usual) and noted that the teeth no longer seem 'mobile'. What a relief this was! But she said that I have to improve further on cleaning the finer parts of the teeth to prevent any build-up of food stains.

As she scaled my teeth, I tried to put up with all those drilling-against-teeth noise. Yucks! Also, some teeth began to feel 'sensitive' and so, to the annoyance of the dentist, I started to involuntarily wrench on the chair! I mean, all those awful 'sng' feelings were so unbearable!

The dentist decided in the end, to use in addition to the regular scaling, the more traditional hand-scaler and the 'sandblast'-scaler!!!! Wow! I never knew dentists use such a machine, it was quite fascinating when she explained what it involved. Basically, it was a super-strong jet of water combined with very fine powder (sand) polish. Its job is to 'spray off' stubborn food stains from and especially behingd, the teeth.

The 'sandblast' was certinly a much more bearable option to the scaler. And soon, the scaling was finished and then after a quick polishing routine, it was all done. And I was released from the clinic.

By then, it had been an hour (the usual time slot given for each check-up visit is half an hour only). And poor R, whose turn was next, looked so bored sitting on the safe in the waiting area.

I 'rested' my poor teeth while R had his checked and worked upon. After another about 1 hour, he was also done. And then we left for our respective offices.

Parking at Shenton House was daylight robbery - for parking there for about 2 hours, we had to pay $15!! Next time, we must not park there anymore.

1 comment:

KayAngMo said...

Please re-read my posts about teeth and dentists.

Here are my learnings:

1. Always brush your teeth 2 times or more per day. (After meals)

2. However, do not damage gums by brushing too hard, limit to 30seconds per quarter of mouth if using electric

3. Do not brush straight after food or drink, because teeth is "soft" and easily damaged (you need to wait at least 30 seconds)

4. Use a mechanical (electric) toothbrush once a day (I also use the Bosch water jet thingy to massage gums).

5. Go for cleaning at least 2 times a year.

6. fill up any holes when possible.

7. change toothbrush every 3-4 months (or earlier)

8. Use good toothpaste, and not just minty fresh ones.

9. Avoid chewing gum or fizzy drinks