Friday, March 20, 2009

39!

I remember that when I turned 9 years old, I told myself that it was significant because the following birthday, I would be 10 and that would be the first of my double-digit birthdays.

When I was 19, I also felt that it was yet another significant milestone because the following birthday, I would no longer be a 'teen'. '20' sounded so grown-up and being a '20-something' so new and exciting then.

I don't recall any special feeling about being 29, however. Maybe the magic of turning into a '30-something' just didn't feel so magical. Also, I guess I was quite contented and busy dealing with everything in my life then - R, WY, work, buying/renovating/moving house and so on.

Now that I am going on to the '40s' the next birthday, I think it feels a little scary. I cannot pinpoint exactly why it is scary. Maybe it's because we all think being a '40-something' generally means that we have already reached the mid-point of our time on earth. And so, we ask ourselves questions like 'So, what have you achieved?', 'What next?'.......

For many of the questions, I don't have firm or good answers. But then, Confucian said, "四十不惑' and so, I will work towards being '不惑'.

For those who remembered my birthday, thanks for remembering and for your birthday wishes. These wishes do seem more precious these days.

My colleague spent a bomb on my birthday - lunch treat at Thanying restaurant ($80+ for 2 pax), birthday cake from Amara hotel ($30+ for one kg, after discount) and an angpow ($128 - ridiculous, hor?!). The aggregate sum is now a new credit in the '人情' account for her, and will go towards her birthday present next month.

2 comments:

KayAngMo said...

I envy your "crazy" colleague. She is not crazy, she is sowing seeds of love and friendship. Wished I had the same chance.

Happy Birthday, dear sister.

pstkytan said...

I remembered.....so the cake is on it's way tonite...........