Monday, July 9, 2007

National Stadium

I ordered one National Stadium Commemorative Mug some weeks ago. It arrived this morning.

The touch and feel of the Mug are quite bad - very coarse material and make. Not worth at all for the $12 paid. In fact, some of my colleagues' are chipped, and will have to be replaced.

I cannot wait to go home to try out the Mug. According to its advertisement, the dull-brown 'wallpaper' on one side of the Mug will transform into a colourful picure of the National Day Parade when hot water is poured into the Mug. (Heeheheee, I cheekily asked my colleague who had helped to place the order for us, whether there would be sparks of fireworks?! Hahahahaa.....)

Personally, that view of the NDP is not how I remember our National Stadium. That is more like a spectator's view of the Stadium, I guess. Perhaps to the majority of the public (who got to the inside of the Stadium only for NDP), it is representative enough.

For myself, I remember other perspectives of the Stadium. My experience with the Stadium is more associated with my participation in the NDP/SYF as a member of the school band during my Secondary School days. We really shedded sweat and tears (and even some blood because some of us fell during practices) there during those years of marching and blasting away on our instruments.

It is really such a pity that I have no personal photographs to show of this soon-to-be-gone grand old dame. But I chanced upon this website 'Club Snap Photography Community', and in it, there are beautiful pictures of the Stadium! Here, I borrow some purely for reminiscence (rights of the various owners of these photographs are fully acknowledged):

1) This was one of those spots where participants of NDP/SYF Band Outdoor Competitions would gather and wait for their turns. Over here, band members would sit and sip on our packet drinks before and after our items:




2) This was that awesome view which we would be greeted with as we assembled and 'fall-in' to the command of our drum majors, for our band competitions. It was from that grandstand that our band instructress would shout at us during our rehearsals for the band displays. Same for the army commanders who would yell at us participants during NDP Rehearsals. This was also the view which we would be facing when the results of the band competitions were announced:



3) The 1st time I stepped onto these tracks at the Stadium, the soles of my school shoes were stained red! And because I had never been a sportsperson, I had never known how the tracks felt, until then. I was in Sec 1 and a 'pong-pong girl' participating in the band display for the Opening Ceremony for 12th SEA Games. The white lines of the tracks came in really handy for our 'dressing' (alignment) during our NDP march-pasts:



Someone in the office asked if any part of the Stadium would be put up for sale when the bulldozers roll in. I have no idea. I am not sure even if it is necessary to 'own' some physical part of the Stadium in order to remember this grand old dame?

But I suppose if there is anything of/from the Stadium that I would like to have, it will be one of those gigantic gate-signs. My preference would be Gate 1 (because the Guards-of-Honour would always march in from Gate 1!).

1 comment:

KayAngMo said...

With the passing of time, we begin to feel more nostalgic about stuff going underground.

I possess no fond personal memories of the Great National Stadium, but I take issue with the authorities who displayed "efficiency and cost-effectiveness" during the end of life for this National Monument.

They are simply "doing their job" with no feelings nor want to have feelings about this giant structure.

As with the construction of the ugly bug-eyed monster in the city, the very same people will destroy or demolish this nostalgic building, in the name of progress.

It may be a different company doing the task, but I am sure the same party of authorities will supervise and approve the running of this project.

There were so many complaints in the ST Forum, one wonders how many unpublished voices were sad enough to vote the ruling party out the next time.

With the "pre-announcements" of selling private land to foreigners as a hint to the public, how many people understand that the government is charting into unfriendly and dangerous territory. As one writer wrote "it is THE END, when we start selling land to foreigners".

In the name of profit making and profit sharing, does the overzealous crowd in Parliament House know what they are proposing and what they are really doing?

What defines a Singaporean? Our country, our family and ourselves. If we have less and less of our country, then we will not be anymore tied down to anything at all.

This may not seem to make any sense rightaway, but I think the message is : Dear Ministers, don't cross the line.