Monday, April 20, 2009

KH: Good Teacher, Even Better Friend

When I was in BPS, the regular band instructress we had was a lady trumpeter whom we called Ms Chan. Then, one day, for reasons I still don't know today, she left us. To replace her, a young man called Mr Tay came to conduct the band.

This Mr Tay's name is KH. He is a very jovial and rather fun man to be with. He always had encouraging words for us, even though (as we all know it) our standard of playing in BPS band was really quite low. KH is a very good musician and he plays the clarinet. He has a very strong and good singing voice, too.

One day, KH came to band practice with a new hair cut - an army-style crew cut! This caused us all to wonder if he was going to join the army or something, and some girls also laughed because he looked quite different in that hair cut. The bubbly young man told us, "Oh, I fell asleep in the barber's chair. When I woke up, I realised that this was what they had cut for me."

We all went incredously, "Ha??!" We rallied around him and showed him, in our own small ways and as best as we could, our sympathy. It was funny because KH himself seemed ok about it and remained as cheerful as ever.

A few days later, while discussing school with CP, I learnt that the brother of one of CP's friend at TJC had gone to a barber and fallen asleep while having his hair cut. And the end result was that the brother looked like he was going to be enlisted into the army! CP's friend had shared this funny 'story' of her brother with CP for a good laugh.

When I heard this story, I told CP that that was what had happened to my band instructor, too! And then later, we found out that KH is indeed the brother of CP's friend. CP's friend is KHwee. What a small world it is, I remember thinking to myself.

At the end of P6, I did very well for PSLE with a score 4 points short of the national top score that year. But alas, I didn't get into the school of my choice. Instead, I was posted to TKGS. See other post for details.

As I didn't like the idea of going to TKGS, CP decided to introduce me to KHwee. KHwee is an old TK girl. We went to KHwee's house in Geylang East one evening, and KHwee spoke to me about TKGS, telling me how a wonderful and good school it is etc. I also saw some awards that she had received in TKGS. After the visit, I felt better about TKGS and a little less 'resentful' about going there.

*************

When I became the band major in TKGS, KH suddenly called me one day and asked if he could visit the band. His purpose was to see if there was anything he could do to help improve the band's playing - KH's really into the band circuit then.

Although the culture of the TK Band was such that 'outsiders' were never welcome, I decided to go ahead with a 'tutorial' session with KH. But to keep it a low, low profile thing, I chose only a handful of my closer friends, mostly my committee members, for the session.

The small group of us, each on a different instrument, felt so exhilaterated after the short 1-hour session which was just before our formal band practice. KH was a very good and careful critique, giving us tips and words of encouragement all the time. Before that day, we never knew we could sound so good together.

Later, some juniors who had arrived earlier for band practice that day asked me, "How come the band practice started earlier today?" When I told them that it was only a handful of us practising 'on our own' in a classroom just above the band room, these juniors could hardly believe me. I remember one of them said, "But it sounded really like a whole band at work, leh?!"

I never forgot this invaluable experience with KH. Although my thanks to him may not have been very profuse then (of course, I did thank him lah), I always knew that we were the lucky ones to have been through the session with him.

*****************

Never did I know that when I went to the TJC Symphonic Band, I would once again meet KH.

One day, when band practice was about to start, our band leader told us that an alumnus has come to offer us some comments on our playing. When she brought the alumnus into the band room, I saw to my greatest surprise and excitement that it was none other than KH!

I had no idea whether KH had recognised me at that time, but as he went on to give us tips on how we could better play the college anthem (which, by the way, was always played super-lousily because most of us couldn't be bothered about it), a deep, deep sense of pride started to fill me. Pride, I suppose, because he was no stranger to me (but my friends in the band didn't know him!). And also, he looked rather dashing then.

After this critique session with KH at TJC, I had a brief chat with KH. I think he mentioned something about going to Japan for further studies or something. I didn't (dare) ask too much for fear that the others around might think that I was asking for his attention etc - you know, those silly girly things that we get teased about often in those days.

*****************

When I went onto FB last month, I found many of my friends who were fellow band members - one in BPS band, many in TK band and a handful in TJC symphonic band. I thought about my friendship with each and every one of them, and reminisced quite a bit of the times (mostly good) with them.

Then, one day, I remembered KH. And so, I decided to 'look' for KH on FB. With almost incredible ease, I succeeded. Then I sent him a message and we are now linked on FB.

Last Friday, we had dinner together at Canele. Except for the little bit of white hair on the sides of his head, KH looks very much the same. And he speaks very much the same, too, with the same sense of humour, same very inspiring and motivation-speaker-like tone. So, it's no surprise that he is now a business development consultant and deals with many high-profile and important clients and associates. I think he is very well-connected, so to speak.

KH travels around quite a bit, he says, although his specialty is in the North-East Asia. He still stays in GE, however, because he likes the place (he says so). And as he calls himself, he is still a GE boy.

In the course of dinner, KH asks about HA - he remembers HA, leh! I told him that HA is working and living overseas, and that HA is also on FB. I also told KH how grateful I have been for all those band 'tutorial' sessions which he had so generously shared with my friends and I. My 1st and only visit (so far) to CCHMS was because he had invited me there!

Anyway, we chatted for quite a while after dinner. Later, we took the mrt train together - KH's plan was to ride his foldable bicycle that evening, but its tyre had punctured in the afternoon, so the next best mode of transport would be the mrt, lor.

We continued to chat on our way home, and KH told me a little of his university in Japan. It must have been so beautiful and invigorating, I think, to go for lessons anywhere in Kyoto - one of the most picturesque places on earth. How nice, hor?

As we headed for GE (for me, slightly further at PLW) from the Aljunied MRT station, we agreed that we should meet up again. I told KH that this time, I would like him to meet R, WY and WF, too! :)

No comments: