Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Worksite Really 'Quiet' Now

I was rather baffled at reading KAM's initial comment on the post on the KPE worksite. How come I haven't heard about this worksite being still in operation as a cement processing centre to supply concrete to other nearby worksites? And I do wonder what the source of KAM's information is?

Anyway, I checked with R last night. No, we didn't miss any flyer or notice updating residents of the status of the KPE works or the worksite. Neither has there been any notice posted on the notice board at the void deck.

R commented that the cement processing tower has already been dismantled and moved away since some time ago already. So how is it possible that the worksite is still actively supplying concrete to other nearby worksites?

Perhaps, the info is on the LTA's website or STI?? I don't know, because I have not been reading the news on STI regularly for some time now.

In any case, on my way out to work this morning, I decided to take a closer look, just to confirm.

The photos really do show that R is right, leh! The cement processing tower is already gone! Only its foundation pillars (within the red rectangle which I have drawn on the photo) remain.



It does look like the contractor now needs to only clear the piles of giant I-beams (aka H-beams) which had been used to support the walls of the tunnel during excavation in the early stages, and the remaining stock of sand (covered with blue canvas sheets) and then they can start to re-turf the area.... See how even the worksite office looks vacated now.



看来,我那个“还我往日的幽静和清新”的愿望,真的是指日可待了!

2 comments:

lplp said...

After I posted this update, I saw KAM's 2nd comment.

Yup, I think the works are really almost done now.

But celebration will have to wait till the clearing-up is completed. This will definitely take some time.

*******

Btw, the contractors have also started to re-surface the footpath along our side of the canal.

Last Saturday, when we returned home from WY's and WF's enrichment classes, we saw a cement mixer parked just metres away from the playground. Workers were using wheelbarrows to transport wet cement from the mixer to the footpath beyond the playground.

I brought WF to have a close-up look at how the wet cement is dispensed from the mixer to the wheelbarrows. Afterall, it is not every day that we get to see a 'working' cement mixer at close range, right?

WF was thrilled! The workers were amused! (Actually, I also felt a bit excited!)

We stood only about a metre away from the dispenser at first, but had to back off a little when spots of wet cement started to splatter onto WF's t-shirt!

What a pity it was that I didn't have our camera with me then.

KayAngMo said...

Ya lor.... makes me feel so "angry" and "yuan wang".

I cannot remember my source la, but when I was told about the cement mixing facility, I looked at the worksite from my flat, and it was very "believable" about this.

"External" cement mixers were coming in and out of this compound and they don't seem to be using all that cement for this site.

Anyway was the cement "factory" accusation so difficult to believe?

If I were the construction leader, I would also pool this together, get as much "mileage" as legally possible and then move away.

In SGP, the normal people sacrifice, but they are never informed nor rewarded for their sacrifices.

Not when the leaders think this will make SGporeans weak and complacent and all that bullshit.

We are a secondclass citizen living in our own country. Only the rich and powerful are the real 1st class citizens.

It is becoming more and more apparent, just look at the recent hoohaa in ST with PM denying SG is only for the rich. It was a question from a schooling person I think. He was dead right on.

But nevermind, if they can make SGP tick and people busy, where got time to question these "human rights" kind of thing. Correct?

Who is not busy in Singapore? Only the dead people, I guess.